As a life-long fisherman, I’m excited by the opportunities I see in the near future as a new chapter of Fishing’s Future. I grew up bank fishing the Ohio Canal and graduated to catching perch and walleye at Lake Erie, even in the winter ice fishing. Because of my military career all around the States, I’ve had the opportunity to wet a line from Ohio to Florida, Virginia to California and even several years in Hawaii catching monster marlin and tuna.
I’m currently a member of the Ft Leavenworth Rod and Gun Club (with over 300 members) and the Secretary and Youth Chairman of the Leavenworth Bass Club (about 40 members). I’m also a certified Fishing merit badge instructor for Boy Scouts and am certified for working Girl Scouts fishing events. We also support the Northwest Missouri State Fishing Club in Maryville, MO, giving numerous classes throughout the school year, and have supported them with boats during their college level tournaments.
Between the two organizations, I have been involved annually in numerous fishing activities with both adults and kids to include:
- 2 Kid’s Fishing Derbies on Ft Leavenworth, average 150 kids, 300 adults, 50 volunteers
- A Kid’s Fishing Derby at the Cabela’s outdoor pond, 200 kids plus family members
- A Casting Kids event inside Cabela’s, average 100 kids
- The Special American Fishing Event (SAFE) supporting 40-75 developmentally handicapped folks
- The Kid’s Festival annually on Ft Leavenworth, teaching pitching and flipping to the youngsters
- Fishing for Freedom for the past five years. Although not a kid’s event, we take wounded warriors for an all expense paid weekend of bass fishing at Truman Reservoir. This year we had about 140 volunteer boaters and warriors with us.
- Seminars to newly arrived service members about local area fishing opportunities.
In the near future, we will be hosting several seminars with the Northwest Missouri State University Fishing Club in Maryville, MO. It’s great being able to work with so many young folks helping them to get involved in the great sport of fishing.